Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Little Mantra

My political views do not make me a loser just because the side I voted for lost. This loss does not make my views wrong. My gender does not mean I'm less than. Neither my upbringing nor my blonde hair mean I'm ignorant. Neither my kindness nor my life choices make me stupid. My anger on behalf of the oppressed does not make me hateful. My anger at violence does not make me personally violent.

I am an intelligent, educated, compassionate, cultured, well-traveled, open-minded, endlessly empathetic, ever-reading, ever-seeking writer, musician, artist, and student of life, who cares about people and animals and the planet. Yes, my heart bleeds for them all. No, that's not a bad thing. It is a bad thing to stop caring; it is a bad thing to stop evolving. It is a good thing to be cautious; it is a bad thing to live in fear.

I am far from perfect. There are more things I don't know than things I do. Sometimes I hate myself. Sometimes I give in to fear and spiral out of emotional control. But I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and there is comfort in that. Life has an ebb-and-flow rhythm; this also is comforting. Eventually, it's all going to be okay. Just love, love, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment